Making waves in the online world is a tough job for any small businesses who don’t have the money for marketing their products or services. What is harder is to compete with bigger corporations to get traffic and convince customers to buy what they offer.
However, boosting traffic to your website is not that far-fetched. It is entirely possible with a few tricks here and some hard work there. Let’s have a rundown of some of the best ways to get or improve your traffic without spending a cent!
- Join various social media
Do a Google search of various social media that you can use for your campaign. While Facebook and Twitter top the ranks, there are other social networks that will help you build your image, promote your business, connect with your target market and get more leads.
Set-up your profile professionally. Use your real photo or the official logo of your business. After which, post regularly but don’t overdo it. Your social media posts (texts, photos, videos, info-graphics) will keep you connected with your followers and attract new ones. Reply to comments or start a conversation.
One way for an effective social media campaign is to track and monitor results, change or improve strategies that aren’t working and be on the know with the updates and trends. It will also help to make an outline or have a to-do list of the things you need to accomplish every day.
- Optimize your website
Your website is critical to the success of your business. It should be the focus of your campaign and optimizing it is only paramount. Make sure that the design, contents and anything that it contains are tailored to the fundamentals of major search engines. Here are few things you need to keep in mind:
- Create contents that people will love to share in social media. This will send signal to search engines that your domain is quality. More so, re-visit old contents and improve them according to the current content standard to still make them relevant. And please, avoid duplicate contents.
- Photos should be optimized as well because they can boost your ranking and traffic when used properly. Complete all image attributes: title, description, alternate text and caption. Keep in mind that some people look via Google Image when searching for something. Make it count.
- Give attention to user experience and site speed to stay ahead of the competition. Keep your site navigable and user-friendly because that will make your visitors explore further. It should also be fast-loading considering that search engines value websites that quickly load — they out them on the first page of search results.
- Choose a web design that is not only good for desktop but is also mobile-responsive. People now use various devices especially smartphones and tablets in going online. It has changed the game and has become the norm for optimization. With that, you need to conceptualize your SEO strategies with mobile searchers in mind.
- Local SEO will continue to gain solid grounds. You have to make sure that Google knows your location and the products or services you are offering. Having your local pages (with your business name, address, contact details and other relevant information written) with Google, Bing, and Yahoo will increase your chance of being visible to relevant audience.
- If you want to push traffic around your site, take advantage of internal linking. By doing so, you only not provide reading options to your visitors but you also help Google index and crawl your website. However, be careful with internal linking because Google might find it suspicious especially with multiple identical uses of links or irrelevant linking.
- Blogging should be a habit
Either it is for your website or for guest posting, make sure that you are giving your audience blog updates. For your site, make sure to post at least two articles every week. It should be informative and entertaining — something that will excite your readers to keep coming back. You have to give them a reason, other than your products or services, to visit your website again. You have to build that connection to make them stay loyal to you.
While blogging is no easy task, you just need to be consistent. Carefully plan what you will write every week as it will make things easier. Read other blogs and learn from their writing techniques.
- Join forums
You know what they say about online forums? It is where people with common interests connect. Look for a forum that is relevant to your niche and sign-up. Join conversations, ask fellow marketers or post a question. This is one way to learn if you have don’t have the time, and the money, for online webinars. Building relationship with marketers in your niche can be an advantage. Who knows, you could exchange links or guest posts on each other’s blog in the future.
- Play the competition
How? Subscribe to their email list or sign in to their websites. This will give you an idea what they are up to, what they offer to their customers, and how they convince them to make a purchase. You should not however duplicate their strategies. Just learn from it and develop something better than what they are doing. This will give you the upper hand.
In the nutshell
There are several ways to drive traffic, increase ranking, and get more leads without spending a dime. You just need to do your research, apply what you learn and be patient. These techniques won’t give you immediate results. To be honest, it will take a while. But rest assured that as you work things out, your business will eventually have a place in social media.
It is however important to emphasize that you should be updated with the updates from major search engines especially Google. They release changes without any hint and affect those websites that can’t keep up. Just be on the know-how and get it done!